What I Do
Road To Growth Business Advisory was established to help business owners in an area stretching from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast here in Queensland grow their business by changing how they think about their business; by focusing their attention on a handful of key areas within the business; and by preparing them to navigate the challenges growth itself will present and allow them to ensure that growth is sustainable. Its purpose is to pass on to SME business owners the business knowledge they need; to have them benefit from some of the successes and mistakes I’ve witnessed in the past and so avoid having to learn by making every mistake themselves; and to help them start turning into reality the ambitions they held when they first started their business.
My philosophy differs from most business advisors or consultants in that I will not come in to simply fix a specific, operational problem for you and disappear, only for you to need further help when the impact of the change on other parts of the business later becomes apparent. There is an abundance of management consultants who will perform this service for you, most of whom will focus purely on their own field of speciality.
Where I differ from most is that, for those of you familiar with the saying “Give someone a fish and you feed them for a day; teach someone to fish and you feed them for a lifetime”, the Road To Growth Business Advisory was formed to ‘teach business owners to fish’. In other words, I will be giving you the tools and knowledge that will enable you to take control of your business, get it on the road to growth, and keep it there for the long term. With this approach the dreams you held when the business was founded will start to become reality (and you may even have more free time to go fishing!).
- We’ll have an initial meeting to allow me to find out more about your business and identify with you the major, most pressing issues you have.
- Together we’ll identify the steps that need to be taken and agree a plan of action with you.
- You then implement the necessary changes (with my guidance/assistance) in order to reduce the demands on your time (you’ll put this time to better use later).
- We’ll then measure the outcomes to ensure the expected improvements have been achieved.
Once we have begun to get the urgent issues under control and have reduced some of the stresses on you, I shall begin introducing you to some of the management techniques, both strategic and operational, you’ll need to master if you want to boost your business’ performance by taking you through an appropriate programme. As we progress through the programme, once you get to grips with a topic I then follow this up and help you apply your newly-found knowledge to your business.
Throughout this process I use a flexible framework that allows me to tailor my advice and approach to where your business is in the typical corporate lifecycle. In practice this translates into three programmes (each of which is aimed at a different stage of the corporate lifecycle) that I use as a base guide.
None of these programmes have fixed content that is rigidly adhered to, but do provide a framework that allows the material for each topic to be adapted to match your personal needs.
- The Foundation programme takes a ‘simple to implement’ approach to give quick returns.
- The Business Essentials programme, as the name suggests, specifically addresses the areas I feel need attention if a business is to achieve sustainable growth. This programme will be appropriate for most businesses.
- The Business Excellence programme is aimed at businesses that have mastered those areas addressed in the Business Essentials programme, and who now wish to lift themselves to the next level, with aspirations to be leaders in their target market.
If you’d like to find out more about my approach or the programmes click here